photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-mrs_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-101_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-dc.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-decor_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-food_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-fashion_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-travel.png

Sunday, July 26, 2020

BOOKWORM UPDATE

What week is it? How long have we been quarantining? The silver-ling of 2020, might just be the number of books I'm putting away. 



Iris's book in her own words is done coffee table style. It's a quick but delightful read and also gorgeous. If anyone can inspire you, it's Iris Apfel - even at the ripe age of 98. 

Busy Phillips' This Will Only Hurt A Little - may be my favorite find this year. Sent to me by a friend, I was pessimistic because I'd never heard of the actress and generally prefer fiction but this shockingly hilarious and vulnerable memoir is worth every page turn. Now I of course follow Busy on Instagram and simply can't get enough of her straight but spicy talk and boy does she have fun!

Back in Six Weeks by Sharon Gerdes was definitely not an expected read. But I picked it up randomly at my parents' cabin and read it cover to cover. Partially intrigued by the story of someone's postpartum journey and partially pulled in by the unexpected descriptions like "he was hard as titanium in the cockpit but soft as a tulip with his friends and family." Like wow - what a weird line but kind of interesting right?!

Robin DiAngelo's White Fragility is a must read, y'all. This country has so much work to do and this book is a great way to confront racism and start learning what you can do as an individual. 

Oh Crap! Potty Training is probably pretty self explanatory. I'll say this, Jamie Glowacki's method works or at least is currently working. More on that later.

I quickly consumed Robert Kolker's Lost Girls. For whatever reason I love mysteries and murder and my goodness does this true crime novel fit the bill. It's a deep dive into a notorious Long Island serial killer and the way our society continues to not lift up the stories of women. 

And as far as I'm Still Here by Austin Channing Brown. This should be required reading. A memoir written by a black woman recounting her life and how racism has made a daily appearance.

Currently reading The Last House Guest. Another spooky book because whelp it's summer and I live for page turners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio