photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-mrs_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-101_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-dc.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-decor_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-food_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-fashion_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-travel.png

Thursday, April 23, 2020

RECIPES 9 + 10: Pork and Red Chile Stew with Tomatillos and Split Pea Salad

Paulo and I are whipping through Alison Roman's Dining In, so today I'm sharing two dishes: Pork and Red Chile Stew with Tomatillos AND Split Pea Salad.

Okay, let's get right to it! The Hubs was especially excited about the New Mexican style stew as he frequents the state for work. I was intrigued but, admittedly, don't eat a lot of red meat at home so this recipe was not on the top of my list. Though I'd never cooked with hominy, love tomatillos and the point of this quest is to cook the whole book so I revved my engine, dug in and here are the results!


You guys, this stew is like a life-giving ramen but with extra spice and no noodles. It was also very greasy like some of the ramens we all love, but it was bit too much for me. I even passed on seconds and leftovers - which never happens, though the Hubs skimmed off the fat from the leftovers and happily ate it all.

Our pork shoulder also did not break apart as much as expected so if we do make this dish again, I recommend cutting the pork into a couple large chunks before simmering. Otherwise you're left with meat that is simply too big to be consumable and hard to break apart. I also would look to trim excess fat from the exterior of the pork to help cut down on the greasiness. I'm holding off on sharing this recipe because I can't full heartedly endorse it. Perhaps a second go will sell me on this stew but don't count on it.


As for the salad, it was a very different story on a very different night. I LOVE split pea soup and thus had been eyeing this recipe from the start. The crunch of the crispy potatoes and bacon alongside the lentils and peas, made this hearty salad a winner. I also loved the fresh chives and can always get down on a grain mustard type vinaigrette. We are fortunate to still have pounds on pounds of salmon in our freezer from our neighbor's Alaska fishing friend and simple pan seared salmon was the perfect plate partner for this complex and tasty salad.

For the Split Pea Salad recipe from Alison herself, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio