photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-mrs_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-101_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-dc.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-decor_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-food_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-fashion_1.png photo TheMrsonHStreetNav-travel.png

Monday, November 13, 2017

A Boy's Room

The last few weeks, the Hubs and I have started to clear out our once home office to create a nursery for our baby BOY coming this spring. That's right folks, we're having a boy and we could not be more excited!

Taking on the nursery, I knew I wanted to keep it simple, modern and gender neutral with a few pops of fun and color. And after scouring the internet, finding inspiration from my favorite home decor magazine (Domino) and talking at length with my Hubby - we came up with a pretty clear plan. First, we're keeping the room soft and cozy by painting the room with Benjamin Moore's "Edgecomb Gray." Next, we'll hang a small George Nelson Bubble Saucer for lighting with a dimmer. We scored the light fixture during Lumen's annual sale and one of my GFs who recently had a baby said the dimmer is a must. I'm taking that advice to the bank!

As far as the foundation of the room, the furniture we've chosen will grow with our baby into boyhood and beyond. We already had this beautiful Room & Board bookcase (on loan from aunt Niks!) and used this piece as a jumping off point. The Eames Molded Rocker was a no brainer and there are plenty of good replicas to avoid the steep price of an original. I've adored DwellStudio's mid-century modern dressers for almost a decade and they have an easy changing table topper to make this piece both beautiful and functional. The crib was probably the hardest decision but guided by Baby Bargains (thanks Jill!), we found the Stokke Sleepi made the most sense for our current digs as this crib quite literally does it all. From bassinet to crib to toddler bed and finally to two chairs, we couldn't pass up this stylish and smart unit that boasts functionality for city dwellers and those in small spaces.

Once we'd identified furniture, lighting and the paint color, the decor came together quickly. I love the  straight forward message of print-maker Anthony Burrill, "Work hard & be nice to people." I also love that these words may inspire our little man to be just like his dad. Because we love animals you know these mounted zebra and lion heads from Serena & Lily really set my heart a flutter and will give the room a little flare. Plus there is no way these zoo creatures won't go on sale before April, I mean hello Christmas/Black Friday sales. The mirror is an Ikea piece that I've thought about more than I'd like to admit so I'm tickled to finally have it hang in our house. Although DC can be a buttoned up city, I've found so much inspiration in the Calder sculptures and mobiles scatter around town. Which is why when I came across this mobile, my immediate answer was YES!

Now for ALL the details: George Nelson Bubble Saucer Light | Room & Board Copenhagen Bookcase | Serena & Lily Mounted Lion Head | Serena & Lily Mounted Zebra Head | Eames Inspired Rocker | Work Hard & Be Nice to People Print | Softsquare Ottoman | Stokke Sleepi Crib | Life and Thread Mobile | Ikea Stockholm Mirror | DwellStudio Mid-Century 3 Drawer French White Dresser | Container Store Ivory Braided Jute Rectangular Basket | DWR Restore Felt Basket | Bien Fait Animals Wallpaper

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

design + development by kelly christine studio